Monday, January 10, 2022

The beauty of raw and physical things

Over the years, my life and time have been immersed in increasingly abstract and complex topics. Data science, machine learning, and product development methods have taken most of my attention. I stare at computer screens constantly.  I have craved a deeper connection with the physical world. 

About 15 months ago, my wife returned home from a music trivia game with her friends, in which one of the topics was called "Men and Makeup." She crushed it. She intimately knew the works of David Bowie, Mick Jagger, and Prince. Listening to her account, I found myself thinking about the beauty of cosmetics, not just the beauty created by them, and the unexplored spaces for men to beautify themselves. After years of MAGA-ridden toxicity, would not the world be better, if men did more to cherish beauty, and in part, made more effort to make themselves more beautiful? Don't those attracted to men, especially those who work so hard to make themselves beautiful in the eyes of men, deserve gorgeous men? 

I began to poke at this slowly. I reached out to cosmetics experts and chemists. I also began to purchase cosmetics and experiment with them on myself. I found great joy in products by Tom Ford and Channel. I also benefitted from healthier skin and greater confidence in my appearance. 

Yet I found little or no products specific to my wants and needs. I enjoy my appearance as a man. I do not want to look like a beautiful woman, but rather, want to improve my appearance as a man. Consequently, most products are not designed for me.  

To explore this gap, I have set about making my own products. Initially they were simple, DIY projects in my kitchen, making lip balm or hand salve. But with time, I my experiments have become more methodical and complex. I have purchased professional lab equipment. I read books about organic chemistry and the molecular structure of common ingredients. I think about bonds, preservation, and shelf life. 

I have also began to document my works. There is great beauty to be found in the material. The design of a skin product is a tactile experience, rich with colors and scents.  There is much joy here to be found outside of computers, connecting us to each other through our senses.


No comments:

Post a Comment